Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Recipe: Summer Pickles

Hope you had a great 4th of July weekend! We sure did and I wanted to share a recipe with you that was a hit on Saturday. It is a family recipe that started with my sister, Mary, and then my sister-in-law, Sarah, adapted it too.

Image via Spruce Hill
Ingredients:
  • 3 nice sized cucumbers sliced thin
  • 1 small onion sliced thin
  • 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • Dill and salt to taste
Slice your cucumbers and onions into a bowl. (I used a mandolin so I could get them thin and even) While you are slicing, in a pan on the stove mix vinegar, water and sugar. Heat until the mixture reaches a slow boil. Add salt and dill to taste, I use fresh dill when I can but, dried dill works too. Poor liquid mixture over the sliced cucumber, onions, salt and dill. Chill in the fridge in a covered bowl. They will keep in the fridge for a good amount of time.

These summer pickles are a refreshing snack and can be eaten on their own but the best way is to spread a bit of cream cheese on a cracker and top it with a couple pickles.

Enjoy!


tic signature

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...